NodeBB does allow uploaded images to be displayed, but it is not optimized for large images or a high volume of images. If your forum lends itself to a lot of image sharing by members, you will want to activate an image handling plugin. One popular example uses the image sharing site Imgur.
- Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum.
- Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. The quickest way to find the plugin is to use the search on the right. Type 'Imgur' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it.
- From the Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search for 'Imgur' again, and select Activate.
- Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the Imgur plugin will be active.
Now you'll need to register your forum with Imgur. If you don't already have an Imgur account of your own you'll need to create one first.
- Once this is done, go to the Plugin > Imgur menu in NodeBB. Here you will find set-up instructions.
- Select and copy the callback URL example.
- Then click on the link that leads to the Imgur application registration page.
- Enter a name for your forum, and then paste in the callback URL example.
- Now, select the portion of this that reads "yourforum.com" and replace it with the actual address for your forum.
- Fill out the remaining fields and submit the form.
- Imgur makes use of two different keys: a Client ID key and a secret ID. Copy and paste each of these keys into the appropriate field in NodeBB.
- Hit the "Save" button at the bottom of the screen, then "Authorize." You will be re-directed back to Imgur where you will be asked to allow the forum to access your account.
- Select "allow." You will then be redirected back to your forum.
Once these steps are completed, any images uploaded to your forum will automatically be stored in your Imgur account.